Barnyard millet (Bhagar or Jhangora) is a nutritional powerhouse with high levels of protein, calcium, iron, minerals and vitamin B complex. It is also low in carbohydrates and gluten-free, making it an excellent grain for those with gluten allergies, type II diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Beneficial effect of Barnyard Millet for the health is:
- Rich in Fiber: It is a tremendous source of dietary fibre with a good amount of both soluble and insoluble fractions. The grain contains the highest amount of fiber in comparison to other grains and millets.
- Low in Calories: It is a good source of highly digestible protein and low in calories as compared to all other cereals. It is a grain which makes one feel light and energetic after consumption.
- Gluten-Free Food: It is gluten free. It is an appropriate food for patients who are intolerant to gluten (those with celiac disease).
- Good Source of Iron: It is the good source of iron as comparison to all millets and cereal grains.
- Low Glycemic Index: The carbohydrate content of barnyard millet (Bhagar or Jhangora) is low and its slow digesting process, making the barnyard millet a low glycemic index food. Hence, it can be potentially recommended for patients with cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus.