Niger also known as Ramtil or Karla is an erect, stout, branched annual herb grown for its edible oil and seeds. It grows on almost any soil as long as it is not coarse-textured or extremely heavy. It is usually sown in areas with a rather poor soil or on heavy clay soil under poor cultural conditions. Niger tolerates waterlogged soils since it grows equally well on either drained soils or waterlogged clays. Niger is extremely resistant to poor oxygen supply in soil because of its ability to develop aerenchymas under these conditions.
Health benefits of Niger seeds
- Heart Health - Niger seeds are quite beneficial to improve your cholesterol balance, because this oils possess high levels of omega-3 fatty acids and linoleic acid. This can help lower your chances of developing atherosclerosis, which can further prevent heart attacks and strokes. The anti-inflammatory effects of these healthy fats can also help lower blood pressure and generally reduce the strain on your cardiovascular system
- Reduces Inflammation - Niger seed consists of good amount of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds which make it popular for people struggling with arthritis, gout, rheumatism, fever, or high blood pressure. Antioxidants help to neutralize free radicals, which can cause oxidative stress. By its very definition, oxidative stress causes inflammation in the body, thus eliminating those free radicals is a great place to start
- Heals Wounds - Niger seed is highly nutritious as it consists of vital nutrients like niacin, oleic acid, carbohydrates, protein, fibers, stearic acid, riboflavin and ascorbic acids which possess good healing ability. Niger seed oil offers immediate relief from irritation caused due to wounds.
- Immune System Booster - Niger seed consists of certain anti-parasitic and antioxidant qualities which is quite helpful whenever topically applied or consumed. If you wish to avoid several infections and strengthen the overall immune system, then use Niger seed oil on your skin for external infections, and consume it in your food for internal protection
- Sleep Aid - Niger seed is the store house of Magnesium, potassium and zinc which are some of the key minerals that can affect the hormonal levels in the body. These minerals help to calm Circadian rhythms and induce the release of certain neurotransmitters that the body needs for proper rest, mainly magnesium. If you are suffering from insomnia or chronic restlessness while sleeping, try to include some Niger seed and get benefited
- Give Relief from Cold and Flu - Niger seed is extremely beneficial in giving protection to the body against cold and flu
- Gastrointestinal Issues - Niger seed is quite comparable to rapeseed and sunflower oils, both of which can calm gastrointestinal problems like constipation, bloating, cramping, hemorrhoids and general stomach upset. The seed can also help to coat the stomach and reduce inflammation, and also protect against any bad bacteria in the gut that may be compromising your immune system or preventing proper nutrient uptake
- Speed Healing - Ideal for stimulating healing and regrowth of cells and tissues
- Weight Gain - Fatty acids and proteins found within it are perfect if you are trying to gain weight in a healthy way. Following an injury or illness, boosting weight gain is often desired, and the balance of omega-3s and other nutrients can encourage healthy weight gain for those patients or consumer
*This information is not intended to treat, cure or prevent any disease.